Taxedmuch

8915 repayment

When asked Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2020, and selecting yes, you receive a "You'll need to revisit this area" because the IRS instructions related to repayments of distributions weren't' ready to include in this release. Does anyone know when this will be updated to allow moving forward with filing taxes?

SamS1

8915 repayment

The form 8915 is scheduled to be released around 2/18.  We are waiting on the IRS to release the final version.

Click here to monitor the availability of forms by TurboTax product.

The good news is the IRS is not accept or processing tax forms until 2/12 so still time to get your return finished and accepted with the first batches of returns.

SamS1

8915 repayment

DennisG

8915 repayment

(Still) unable to find Form 8915-E(Desktop; Home and Business).  Is it currently available and if so, how to get it?  Assuming I need it to get my return accepted(already rejected, although no errors on review).

Had an IRA 1099-R box 1 gross distribution; comprising a partial RMD + several QCD's, and rolled the RMD amount back, per CARES act.  Subsequently did a partial Roth IRA conversion.  Everything totaled up exactly for the box 1 entry.  When I entered all the above into Turbo Tax, prompted to delete this 1099-R and to prepare 2 separate 1099-R's in TT, so I left it as is, backed out, and e-filed(no errors, but rejected).  The only taxable item should be the partial RothIRA conversion.  Will the 8915-E cure the TurboTax delete prompt?  As of now, my IRA Trustee will not issue new, separate 1099-R's to include the above, and am concerned that an audit will be triggered.  Thank you.

fanfare

8915 repayment

if everything adds up then why is the Roth conversion not taxable?

Perhaps you should  do what TurboTax says to do? Right now, your return is incorrect and it is REJECTED to boot.

IF you converted it in 2021, stop. you put that on your next tax return.

stevet218

8915 repayment

What does this mean? This form, I cant e file because it saying something about forms 8915A, 8915B,8915C, AND 8915D,. I did not put in anything about natural disasters. Can you explain how I can fix this and what Im looking for

ThomasM125

8915 repayment

@stevet218 If you took an early distribution from your pension plan due to the COVID pandemic, you can use form 8915-E to spread the tax on it over three years and also to avoid a ten percent penalty on the early distribution. So, you may have to go back through your form 1099-R entries if you took a pension plan distribution.

stevet218

8915 repayment

Never took anything from retirement. All I got was the 2 stimulus checks

fanfare

8915 repayment

@stevet218 

You responded affirmatively to one of the disaster questions. Don't do that.

you have to go back through the retirement section, delete all 1099-R documents and re-enter them.