Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmueller

403b distribution my nj contributions should not be taxed again in nj state, There is a line 20b for this on the NJ state form. How do if find this in turbotax?

A fraction of my 403B distributions from my contributions are not taxable in NJ since I already paid NJ taxes on them.  The annuities and the MRDs are handled differently.  How does turbotax handle this?  As a rough guess it will reduce my taxable income by about 1/8 of the total 403B distribution, so in is not ignorable.  Also, since the distributions are spread across 10 contracts (5 annuities and 5 MRDs) can I combine all of them or must I enter all separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

403b distribution my nj contributions should not be taxed again in nj state, There is a line 20b for this on the NJ state form. How do if find this in turbotax?

For pensions and annuities, use the Three Year Rule method or the General Rule method.
See NJ  Resident Return Instruction booklet.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

For pensions and annuities, use the Three Year Rule method or the General Rule method.
See NJ  Resident Return Instruction booklet.

answer corrected - see above.
dmueller

My question was how do you do this using turbotax, This appears to be a case where filling out the forms manually is easier than turbotax.

enter the 1099-R then answer the questions. I don't know whether that will be an easy or hard task or whether it will resolve your issue..
dmueller

The 1099-R form from my 403B does not include the deduction for the portion I already paid taxes on, so no this does not really help.  Turbo-tax does not seem have anywhere to enter the information needed for NJ state worksheets B and C which are needed to do this manually (though they are not filed with the NJ1040.

you need to use CD/Download version running on your computer to access those worksheets
dmueller

What does that mean?  Every time I get into turbotax, it automatically checks for updates and installs any that exist.

according to your post heading it says you are using TurboTax Online. Are you already using CD/Download ?
dmueller

yes, I paid for the download of the Premium version.

you paid for it, but are you using it ?

Click on Forms, and open the worksheet titled "Pension Wks-TP"
dmueller

The forms field is grey.  I am pretty sure I am using the downloaded version of Turbotax (in any case it continues to work if I disconnect from the internet).  I can't start it without a connection, however, because it says it wants to check for updates and I need to connect to the internet, but it does start which makes me think it is not the online version.
dmueller

Turbotax does start-up and run even if I disconnect from the internet (after a long pause because it can't find updates).  So I am using the downloaded version, but still no Forms.

the option to access "Forms" is in the right side of the blue bar. OR enter CTL+2 on the keyboard
Then click "Open Form"
Then type "pension" in the box.
Scroll to Section 2
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies