turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where would I enter my work 401k contribution when filing taxes? 

I ask this because the TurboTax form does not give me the option to enter the amount from box 12 on my W-2. I've went through all sections and was not able to enter the data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Your 401(k) contribution is already entered on your W-2.  You do not enter it anywhere else on the tax return.

It is already on your W-2.  Just enter your W-2 exactly as it appears.  The 401k data is in box 12a-12d.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What?  If you keyed in your W-2 yourself you certainly did have the chance to enter box 12.

On the W-2 entry screen look at the part for box 12.

You have several "boxes" to start with.  You click "select code from list" and then enter the amount.

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  Does your account say “pending?”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies