Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K RMD max withholding?

I need to take a 401K RMD this year.  I would like the most to go to withholding.  But I think there is a max w/h amount you can have for efiling?  What is it, like 50%?  And for state?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can withhold as much as you want. 

I know.  But I think  you can't efile from TT  if you have more than like 50% withholding.   @dmertz ?

And how do I put a higher percentage on W4-P?  Line 4(c) is for an extra dollar amount.  

dmertz
Level 15

The tax code places no upper limit on the amount of a distribution to be withheld for taxes, but the 401(k) plan might have a limit lower than 100% such as 90% or 99%.  I'm not aware of any limit that would prevent e-filing.

But for state withholding, many states have a limit for e-filing the state part.

My state (NC), I believe has a limit for box 14 (State withholding) to be less than about 25% of box 1...and if you go over that, you must file on paper because they want to see the actual (oops not a W-2) 1099-R to prove that much was withheld.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain   Yes,  That's probably what I'm thinking of and have seen.  About State withholding.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies