turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k Nonelective Contributions (profit sharing) as S-Corp

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm not referring to employer-matched deferral contributions, but the nonelective contributions also referred to as profit-sharing that's limited to 25% of employee wages. Must these contributions go through Payroll or do you just pay that employee and expense it out on the 1120s? I know you do salary deferral contributions through payroll and employer-matched contributions made to their deferrals but can't find the answer on nonelective contributions.

Thanks

Curtis

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Employer contributions are an expense of the S corp and have nothing to do with payroll.  They are not wages and are not paid to the employee.  They are not reported on the employee's W-2 or tax return, they are only reported on the S corp's tax return.  A 25%-of-compensation profit-sharing contribution would be made in lieu of matching contributions, not in addition to matching contributions.  The S-corp can't do both and must do the same for all eligible participants in the plan.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Employer contributions are an expense of the S corp and have nothing to do with payroll.  They are not wages and are not paid to the employee.  They are not reported on the employee's W-2 or tax return, they are only reported on the S corp's tax return.  A 25%-of-compensation profit-sharing contribution would be made in lieu of matching contributions, not in addition to matching contributions.  The S-corp can't do both and must do the same for all eligible participants in the plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies