turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099r rollover to IRA

I moved my 401k to and IRA. I filled out what was on 1099r form and now I have to pay Federal and State taxes.

If I rolled over the fund to an IRA, does that make me pay taxes on it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

1099r rollover to IRA

No, you are not taxed on the 401K distribution if you roll it over to your IRA within 60 days of your distribution.  At this point it would be considered a rollover, which is nontaxable transaction. 

In TurboTax, once 1099-R reporting 401K distribution is entered, if code G reports your transaction, the rollover is automatically applied and the income is not taxable.  

Otherwise, you will be asked what you did with the money. Once you answer that you moved the funds to another retirement account, the distribution becomes rollover and is not taxable

To enter your 1099-R:

• Type 1099-R in the search box and click search.
  • Click on Jump to 1099-R.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview.

See the screenshot below.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenaC

1099r rollover to IRA

No, you are not taxed on the 401K distribution if you roll it over to your IRA within 60 days of your distribution.  At this point it would be considered a rollover, which is nontaxable transaction. 

In TurboTax, once 1099-R reporting 401K distribution is entered, if code G reports your transaction, the rollover is automatically applied and the income is not taxable.  

Otherwise, you will be asked what you did with the money. Once you answer that you moved the funds to another retirement account, the distribution becomes rollover and is not taxable

To enter your 1099-R:

• Type 1099-R in the search box and click search.
  • Click on Jump to 1099-R.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview.

See the screenshot below.

centers

1099r rollover to IRA

It shows up in Turbo Tax as taxable dollar amount even though the Code G is entered. It looks to me like I am paying tax on it even though it was rolled over in the 60 days.

1099r rollover to IRA

@centers wrote:

It shows up in Turbo Tax as taxable dollar amount even though the Code G is entered. It looks to me like I am paying tax on it even though it was rolled over in the 60 days.

If you are looking at the summary screen it will show all income you have reported.  Look at your actual tax return Form 1040 on Lines 4b or 5b to see if the the distribution is being entered as taxable income.  If there is no amount entered on Lines 4b or 5b then it is not taxable income.

(Lines 4a and 4b for an IRA distribution.  Lines 5a and 5n for a pension or annuity distribution)

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies