Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


I have a 1099-R form for a 401K. I am trying to file my taxes, but it wants me to upgrade due to the taxes prematurely drawn due to me quitting the job due to health issues. I dont want to upgrade. what can i do?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni


TurboTax prompt you to upgrade to a version that supports the forms you need so we can maximize your tax deductions and ensure you file an accurate return.

If there is an early distribution penalty, you need the Deluxe version or higher.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15


If you qualify, you can use the Free File Program provided by TurboTax:


Otherwise, the only way to not have to upgrade is to use something other than TurboTax such as preparing your tax return by hand using forms downloaded from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies