Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arrow639
Returning Member

1099-c for deceased spouse

My spouse passed away in 2021. There was no estate. I filed jointly for 2021.  I received 1099-c in her SSN dated for April 2022. I am currently filing as surviving spouse with dependent child . With that filing status do I need to include the 1099-c's on my return? Everything I have read states that I don't need to.  Just making sure

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just so this is clear, the cancellation of debt actually converts the debt into income (per the 1099-C).

As a result, a 1099-C received postmortem is income to the estate and, technically, should be reported on an income tax return for the estate (Form 1041). 

In the event, the estate has no assets from which expenses can be paid (e.g., it is insolvent), the estate can exclude the COD income by filing Form 982. 

[Note: in this instance, the expenses would most likely be limited to income tax due]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

From @ToddL99:

Do not report this 1099-C on your return. It was your deceased wife's debt, not yours, and there is no requirement for your to report it on your return.

Your wife's final return was filed in 2021 (joint, with you. There is no way to report this 1099-C on a 2022 tax return.

Since there is no open estate, there are no estate assets and no estate return requirements. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just so this is clear, the cancellation of debt actually converts the debt into income (per the 1099-C).

As a result, a 1099-C received postmortem is income to the estate and, technically, should be reported on an income tax return for the estate (Form 1041). 

In the event, the estate has no assets from which expenses can be paid (e.g., it is insolvent), the estate can exclude the COD income by filing Form 982. 

[Note: in this instance, the expenses would most likely be limited to income tax due]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies