Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgdemeritt
Returning Member

1099-B and Form 8949 entry issues on turbotax

I have a long-term capital loss that should fall under box E and can't find out how to enter this in TT Premier.  The step-by-step in a word, sucks.  Anyone know how to do this?  I put entries in but can't get them to box E

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online Premium, I am able to generate a long-term capital loss reported as Box E on IRS Schedule D.

The entry is made by a summary entry and requires either a 1099-B on a PDF uploaded into TurboTax Online or a paper copy of a 1099-B which will be mailed to the IRS by snail mail if using TurboTax Desktop.

Do not know the nature of the transaction that you refer to or your TurboTax version.  The following example is in TurboTax Online and reports Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds.

Your brokerage statement includes a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example, Box A short-term covered or Box D long-term covered, you will enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.  Follow these steps:

• Click on Federal down the left side of the screen.
  • Click on Wages & Income down the left side of the screen.
  • Scroll down to Investments and Savings and click the down arrow to the right.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Add investments.
  • At the screen Let's import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • Click on Stock, Bonds, Mutual funds. Click  Continue.
  • At the screen Which bank or brokerage is on your 1099-B, enter the information. Click Continue.
  • Do these sales include any employee stock, click No.
  • Do you have more than three sales on your 1099-B, click No.
  • Do these sales include any other types of investments, click No.
  • Did you buy every investment listed on your 1099-B, click Yes.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Now, choose how to enter your sales, select Sales section totals.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Look for your sales on your 1099-B, click Continue.
  • At the screen Now enter one sales total on this 1099-B, enter information. Click Continue.
  • Repeat as necessary by clicking  Add another sales total.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Now we'll help you upload your 1099-B since the IRS requires a copy, select Browse.
  • Download the 1099-B in PDF format from your provider.
  • Upload successful, click Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jgdemeritt
Returning Member

Thanks, that worked. I’m more comfortable filling out the forms and less familiar with the step by step. For these types of entries you can’t really just go to the forms. I’m all set, thanks again. 
John

jgdemeritt
Returning Member

That worked, thanks much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies