Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my1940sford
Returning Member

Why didn't I get my child credit on my stimulus I read online it was a glitch in tax services I received from turbo tax that say I have no dependents ?

I didn't receive the $335 NC sent out for child credit for virtual learning now I haven't received stimulus for my 2 children I received a refund for 2019 tax returns
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Why didn't I get my child credit on my stimulus I read online it was a glitch in tax services I received from turbo tax that say I have no dependents ?

You can go back and look at your 2019 return to see if it shows that the dependents were claimed.  You will claim any missed stimulus payment on your 2020 taxes.

This year the 1040 form will have Line 30.  Line 30 will show the amount of federal money that you were entitled to receive for the economic stimulus but did not receive.  That money will be applied to any taxes you owe and the rest will be refunded to you. 

When you are working online in TurboTax and want to see the 1040 form, you will go to Tax Tools, Tools, the Tax Summary.  Once you are in Tax Summary there will be a selection on the left to view the 1040 form.  You can then see exactly what is on Line 30.  If you do not think it is correct, contact TurboTax for before you file.

on the $335 - please  google that.  I also live in NC and I read that the window to receive the $335 has been extended through at least early 2021, so all is not lost. 

did you file 2019 taxes and do you have record it was actually filed???? maybe that is the issue????? 

@Critter-3 - it hasn't posted on the state website, but the state didn't get enough takers for the money available so the deadline has been extended.  This money is from the CARES Act which required states to 'use it or lose it' by Dec. 31, 2020....BUT, the tax law from last week extended the use of the money into 2021!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article248186425.html

my1940sford
Returning Member

I did file and pay 2019 tax return with  2 dependents with turbo tax I have all the documentation saying I qualify in multiple ways and didn't receive NC extra credit stimulus or child credit stimulus second round 

my1940sford
Returning Member

• Eligible individuals who have filed their state return and reported at least one qualifying child do not need to take any action to receive the grant. 

From irs website I qualify in all the ways it has listed 

1) go to the NCDOR website and fill out the form for the $355 so that you are protected.  Did you get your NC refund from your 2019 taxes (or have a cancelled check if you owed).  Something does seem right because NC stated that anyone who had children on their state tax return would get the $355.  You might call the State DOR office on Monday to discuss.  But in the mean time, fill out that form!! 

2) the 2nd stimulus payments just began on Wednesday.  Be patient. 

i suggested filling out the form and sending it in to protect yourself because when the money that was allocated from the Federal Government to the States under the CARES Act runs out, that's it, no one else gets the $355. 

my1940sford
Returning Member

I already received my second stimulus it was only $1200 I didn't get anything for my children

@my1940sford - did you receive for the children on the 1st stimulus?  

Eligible children must be under the age of 17.  How old were they at the end of 2018 and 2019.  Post back and I may be able to figure this out. 

there is a 'settle up' section on the 2020 tax return so TT will calculate any additional money due you on there. It will appear on Line 30 of Form 1040 as a tax credit which will increase your refund.  Currently TT is only programmed for the 1st stimulus, but expect it to be updated before the filing window opens at the end of January.  

The stimulus checks are  an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the correct amount of  stimulus payments  this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.  It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

At this point, we do not know yet how long  the new stimulus bill will  delay the filing season due to changes to the 2020 Form 1040, software programming, software updates, etc., etc.  Do NOT be in a hurry to file your 2020 tax return until more is known. Give some extra time to the IRS and the software programmers so that the software can handle the new 2nd stimulus, so that you can get it all by filing ONE time.   It is never a good idea to file early, and it would be especially foolish to file an early 2020 return.

my1940sford
Returning Member

No the question of why this happened was not answered and I did double check everything to see i claimed 2 children under 17 we didn't make to much or to little file and paid taxes for 2019 the irs on all websites and phone messages never got back to me and I have been patient I did all these things before and then again I turned to the internet for assistance thanks for trying to answer my question anyway 

@my1940sford - no one on this board would no 'why', but we can explain how it works and how it will be resolved on your 2020 tax return.

The way this REALLY works is EVERYTHING is based on you 2020 income, filing status and number of children under the age of 17.  What these numbers were in 2018 and 2019 does not matter.

The IRS will calculate your stimulus based on 2020 numbers; that is what is considered the ACTUAL.

The two payments were just ESTIMATES

if the ACTUAL is greater than the ESTIMATE, you will receive that amount as a credit on your 2020 tax return.

if the ESTIMATE is greater than the ACTUAL, you are not required to return the money nor does it impact your refund.  Line 30 on Form 1040 will be zero. 

I hope that helps. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies