Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus Check

My father passed away November, 2020. He was my only dependent I claimed when I filed my taxes each year.  And 2020  tax filling allowed me to claim him as my dependent for the last time. When I used the stimulus calculator. I entered :Head of Household; the amount of my adjusted gross income; and (1) as to the # of dependents I claimed. It indicated that $2800.00 would be my stimulus payment.

The amount that was actually deposited into my checking account was for $1400.00. So was I incorrect in thinking I would received the $2800.00? 

Thank You

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus Check

Yes. Taxpayers that passed away in 2020 do not qualify for the third stimulus check. Only taxpayers alive in 2021 qualify for the $1,400 payment. 

We are sorry for the loss of your father. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus Check

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I understand my father wouldn't receive a check. My reasoning for me in thinking I would received $2800. Is based on reading that those individuals (ME) who claimed the qualifying  dependent (MY FATHER) would receive and additional $1400.00.  And then when I used the stimulus calculator entering 1 dependent that where I got the $2800 amount. So basically I misinterpreted what I read?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Stimulus Check

The rules are confusing because of the way the IRS handled the first two payments. 

However the American Rescue Plan clearly says "any individual who was deceased before January 1, 2021, shall be treated for purposes of applying subsection (e)(2) in the same manner as if the valid identification number of such person was not included on the return of tax for such taxable year (except that subparagraph (E) thereof shall not apply)," meaning a deceased individual is treated as if they are not on the tax return, and are therefore ineligible for the payment.

American Rescue Plan Act of 2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies