turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus package

I NEED HELP MY WENT TO IRS TO TRACK MY STIMULUS AND THE ACCOUNT NUMBER I THINK IS WITH NETSPEND BUT WHEN I TRY FO CALL NETSPEND I GET A RECORDING AND THEN IT HANGS UP IM NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO DO , CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Stimulus package

Your stimulus payment will likely go to the bank account where their last tax refund was deposited.

The only way to update your account information is to file your 2020 Federal 1040 tax return.  Your eligibility will likely be based on the information in your return, and your stimulus check will be sent to the bank account you used for your refund or mailed to your address on file.

This TurboTax Help states:

Why is the IRS Get My Payment tool showing bank account information that is different from my 2020 tax return?

The IRS is using a taxpayer’s last processed tax return (either 2019 or 2020) to determine eligibility and where to send stimulus payments. Their stimulus payment will likely go to the bank account where their last tax refund was deposited. For those who did not have a refund or did not choose direct deposit for their refund, the stimulus payment may be sent by check. 

In some cases, the IRS may not have processed the taxpayer’s 2020 tax return yet. Payment to those taxpayers may be issued to the account on their 2019 tax return. 

If the bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return the payment to the IRS and the IRS will mail it to the taxpayer by check at the address they have on file.

Perhaps this IRS information will be helpful.

This IRS FAQ My payment was mailed but my post office was unable to deliver it. states:

Once we receive your payment back, you may be able to provide your bank account information in Get My Payment to have your payment reissued as a direct deposit.

If this is the case, then Get My Payment will show “Need More Information,” usually two to three weeks after the payment is issued. At this point, you can enter a routing and account number for your bank account, prepaid debit card or alternative financial product that has a routing and account number associated with it.

If you do not provide account information, your payment will be reissued when we receive an updated address.

If you need to update your address, the easiest way to do it is by filing your 2020 tax return with your current address, if you haven’t already done so. The fastest way to file the return and update your address is to file the return electronically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus package

I didn't file last year i added my direct deposit information when they gave us the second stimulus check but they wind up sending it in a check and now they put it on the card but i dont know the account number and i cant find my card so im trying to figure out what to do 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Stimulus package

Here is some information that will allow you to receive a replacement card.

Stimulus package

I never had a EIP Card they sent my stimulus in a check the 1st and 2nd time and now they put it on a card but i don't have the card anymore its from netspend but i cant contact customer service because when I call i get a recording and then it hangs up I need my money

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Stimulus package

Netspend Corporation/Customer service

1 (866) 387-7363

Contact Netspend | Netspend Prepaid Debit Cards

www.netspend.com › help › contact

Contact Netspend Online

Stimulus package

I have been calling since the weekend and everytime i called i get through all the prompts and then i get a recording about the stimulus and it hangs up Im not sure what else to do 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Stimulus package

You can go to Get My Payment | Internal Revenue Service to see what account is on record with the IRS. It is unclear why the IRS would change the payment method to something without your permission. 

It may take some time, but you will get all eligible amounts.

For more information, see: Stimulus payment resources for your 2020 taxes

Stimulus package

I cant get in touch with no one at the IRS so if i cant figure it out will i miss out on my stimulus?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Stimulus package

No.  If the direct deposit account is incorrect or wrong, a check will be mailed to the address on the last tax return on file with the IRS.  If you check is return for bad address, then you will be able to go into Where's My Payment and enter your correct banking information.  So if the direct deposit information from your latest tax return is incorrect, you will receive a paper check in the mail.

Stimulus package

I only added that account number when they was issuing the 2nd stimulus but they sent it in a check and now i cant find the card that's link to that account or the paper with the account and routing number. I have calles netspend I cant seem to speak to a representative they send me through the prompts and then i get a recording and then it hangs up

Stimulus package

You can check the status of your payment through the IRS Get My Payment site.  You can also get other information through the IRS website using your IRS Online Account.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You can view stimulus information as well as:

• The amount you owe if any, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any

You can also:

• Make a payment online
  • See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
  • Access your tax records via Get Transcript

Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

@QueenBee1

Stimulus package

I finally got to speak to a Rep a Netspend and they couldn't find a account in there system with that account number so now what do I do because I dont recognize the account number that is posted on the IRS get my payment so Im not sure what to do 

Stimulus package

Unfortunately if you weren't able to find your account through Netspend, your best option is to contact the IRS directly about your tax refund status. Here is a link with information.

@QueenBee1

Stimulus package

I never filed taxes for 2018-2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies