turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus Check for "Your Spouse as a dependent"

@VolvoGirl Done...Waiting for a response.

Opened thread since April 24th, I don't see anything coming of this. 

Yeah, I’m starting to lose hope. TurboTax doesn’t give a **bleep**. 

Once again, contact the better business bureau. You will get a response from the turbo tax presidents office.  Make sure you document and record the conversation for further legal scenarios down the road.

I checked my back tax returns. The "spouse as a dependent" question did not appear on the 2017 tax return, so it was not carried over by Turbo Tax. It was a new question on the 2018 tax return, and it did appear as well in 2019. However the response about my "spouse as a dependent" was not carried over from 2018 to my 2019 tax return. When I asked the IRS rep to look at my 2019 return and recalculate my ability to receive the stimulus check, I was told they cannot recalculate or re-examine and correct returns because this was not authorized by the legislature. What a total and complete joke! I'm sure they think we'll all forget to submit requests for this on our 2020 tax returns next year. I hope they are wrong!

@stahl1986 @Have you actually done this with any success? In my experience the BBB is about as effective as Yelp. 

I stated the outcome, I was contacted by intuit's presidents office.  They stated they did not know what the problem was.  I suggest others do the same thing, at least this way there is a legal copy.

It's very frustrating. I see that I am not alone in this. We also could have used the money. Turbo Tax has wronged many people during this time. 

Still nothing

davidmirv

This happened to me too! Has anyone had any success with the amended return  and getting stimulus issued ?

I spoke to an IRS representative and filed an amended return because the error also prevented me from receiving my payment. The representative told me that by amending my return, I may have the option to claim it on next years taxes, but my amended return would likely not be processed until 2021 due to their back log of paper returns.  I basically was told any paper returns are being processed in the order they’re received with limited staffing.

I can’t wait till next April. I need my money now. TurboTax messed up and they aren’t doing anything about it.

I need mind as well.  There’s an article online about it that offers some hope. Search stimulus error pop culture TurboTax and you should be able to find it.  I tried posting the link to the forum but it wouldn’t work. 

Thanks for sharing this! It’s also on Forbes. I’m going to post this article everywhere so people can see how incompetent TurboTax is. https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberger/2020/08/15/some-turbotax-users-say-a-single-checked-box-ke...

When I called TurboTax they blamed ME for the error. They said I must have made a mistake. Well now it’s on Forbes.com. TurboTax, you are terrible. 

TampaUser

Just wanted to document that I am a paid user, qualified for the stimulus,  having the same issue on the 1040-SR - MFS.  In 2018, I filed a 1040 MFS without the "Your Spouse as a Dependent" box checked.  In 2019, TurboTax filed the 1040-SR with the "Your Spouse as a Dependent" checked.  I did not choose this box and really don't see why it held up my stimulus check, however a phone call with IRS confirmed that was the reason. I am filing a 1040-X to correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies