turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ITIN application delayed.

Good to hear that @Betweencultures !!

However, I'm still waiting for the tax return.

I cannot check the status through the website (I don't know why it doesn't work for me), so I might call them directly and ask about that.

Thank you for the updates!! 😉

Hi, @Charminder67 .

Yes, it was mailed to my address.

@Jonathan82  

Hope all is well with the ITIN and your return now!

I'm new here so I have not browsed the topics, so you may have seen this mentioned already.  If you file with an ITIN, you are not eligible for a stimulus payment.  The exception would be military members.  If that is you, thank you for your service and enjoy your stimulus payment!

I file jointly using my wife's ITIN and I am not military,  so no stimulus for us.  I could have filed single and got the stimulus, but filing jointly saves me more than the stimulus.  Hopefully the next stimulus will drop the ITIN rule.

I'm also waiting for an ITIN, but slightly different.  We needed to change my wife's name on her ITIN and it was mailed around August 8th, two months ago.  I guess we will be waiting a while for the change, based on the experiences describe here.

Hi @DonInPH 

I think you can just call them and explain the situation for the name change.

They might just send you an updated ITIN.

Here is another link which had similar problem.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/apply-itin-for-my-wife-how-long-will-it-...

(look at jain1109 post).

Thanks,

Mihir

Hi all, 

Update on my end; 

I mailed the W7 + supporting documents & 1040 tax return to ITIN operations in Texas back in June. I received the return back with a green paper from the IRS indicating they needed additional supporting documents (copies of my W2s).  

On the 1040, written in red pen by someone from the ITIN office, was my husbands new ITIN number (first time receiving one). 

There was no letter or statement explicitly saying, this is the ITIN number or the W7 application for the ITIN has been approved. But I'm going to assume that the W7 forms were processed correctly and the ITIN is a valid number we can use moving forward.

There was a stamp on the 1040 dating the day they received it 'IRS - Austin, Texas, June 27th'. There was also a red stamp 'W7' and another stamp dating when they returned the 1040 back to me '9-21-2020' for additional information. 

The only confusion I had was where to mail back the return, whether I should mail it back to the ITIN office;

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX [social security number removed]

Or the address to send Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR Addresses for taxpayers who are non-residents -- https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX  73301-0215
USA 

^ I mailed it to the 2nd address, because it seemed like the w7 was approved and all that needed to be processed was the 1040 only. I hope I did the right thing here. I am a US citizen, but my husband is a NRA.

Wish they explicitly mentioned that the ITIN application was approved and now this is my husbands ITIN, but that wasn't stated anywhere. & they were more clear about where to mail the completed 1040 with supporting documents after but --  fingers crossed I get my return later this year!

We were married in 2019 so this is the first year we need to file as a married couple.  We submitted everything for him back in early April via his accountant.  It's now mid-October and we've heard nothing, much less receiving his ITIN number.

The bad part is that I need his ITIN to list on my taxes when filing married, and even with the extension I requested, today is the deadline for me to file.  I guess I'm stuck filing single for 2019 and once we get his ITIN, I can file an amendment and switch my status to married.  While I realize Covid-19 slowed things down, we've now waited more than 6 months for his ITIN number to be created and sent to us.

Hi @Betweencultures ,

Thanks for all the updates!

Can you share when did you receive your wife's passport after you received the ITIN ?

I just got ITIN last week but haven't received the passport of my wife yet.

Time line:

Applied First week of June.

Received ITIN on Oct 15

Thanks,

MJD

Hi@mjd54321

Did you receive your wife's passport back?

My ITIN timeline:

Application sent: August 15, 2020

No news after that

An update on our ITIN number application (see my previous post, 2 posts above this one).   We applied for the ITIN number back in early April, and just yesterday, November 14, we received it in the mail, so it took more than 7 months for us, most likely due to Covid-related delays at the IRS.

Hope this helps others that may still be waiting, as it took us months longer than it normally does to get it.

Hi,

Yeah I got the Passport 2 weeks after I received ITIN.

Waiting for Tax Return now.

Thanks,

Mihir

Thanks!.

I got the original passport for my wife and kid two days back!  Wife got ITIN but the kid didn't (he was not named as a dependent in the tax return). My timeline below: 

Timeline: 

May 5, 2020: Tax return filed with ITIN application (with Acceptance agent certified copy) for wife and kid, I have SSN.

July 28: ITIN reject letter (asked for original passports)

Aug 13: Reapplied for ITIN with original passports

August 25: Tax refund received

Nov 4: called IRS office (early morning 7 am) to get info on the original documents. One hour call but didn't have any information on my application. Mail backlog? The agent put a note on my file. I requested that I need the passports back as soon as possible.

Nov 16: Original passports received back with wife's ITIN

jaguapora

What is the number to contact the IRS in this situation?  The number I tried the other day was  a dead end.  I submitted my return and ITIN for my wife with her passport in May.  Even included a prepaid envelope for expedited return of the passport.  I still haven't heard anything and we have plans of her visiting for Christmas.  I would still have to get her passport to her before then and also buy the plane ticket.  It seems that my best option at this point is to contact the IRS but I'm not sure what number to call.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies