Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ITIN application delayed.

Hi, I applied my wife's ITIN on Mar 3, 2020, through visiting the IRS office, so it's been more than 3 months. The paper instruction is saying that the mail will be delivered within 9-11 weeks, however, I still don't get any mail for the result yet.

I've called the number [phone number removed](on the instruction) but there's no option to choose for the ITIN application status.

I'm assuming this delay may due to the covid19, but I still wondering the status of my application, since my 2019 tax filing will be processed once we have my wife's ITIN. And also, because of this delay, I couldn't get the stimulus check since my 2019 tax filing is not done yet.

Anyone have the same issue or know how to check the status of the ITIN application??

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

I’m in the same boat as you. I submitted mine on March 30th, and have yet to hear anything back. As my wife lives abroad, I wasn’t able to take her passport to the consulate to get a certified copy, and went ahead and sent the original. It’s been a nightmare since I’d like to be able to send it back to her.

If you ever hear back from the IRS, or get an update from their site, please post on this thread. It would be very helpful!

Hi, @Betweencultures 

I've just got a mail today morning from IRS which including the assigned ITIN for my wife. Lol

As I (fortunately) connected with IRS call representative and got answers to this delaying issue a few weeks ago, all the applicants just need to wait for a mail from them with patience under this pandemic situation.

Hope you'll get a mail from IRS in soon as well!

@Jonathan82 That’s great news! Congratulations!

I unfortunately still haven’t heard anything back from them yet...

I’m assuming you haven’t gotten anything regarding the tax return itself, correct? Just her ITIN?

@Betweencultures 

Correct.

I got my wife's ITIN only and haven't got a tax return yet (as I expected) and still waiting for it.

(I also may need to wait for the Stimulus check even after I got my tax return.)

Just hoping everything is done by the end of this year. 

I sincerely hope you can get a reply from them soon as well and get your wife's passport back.

So I ended up receiving the letter for my wife's ITIN as of August 10th. Going to check today to see if anything came back regarding her passport but I highly doubt it.

Once you hear something back about the tax return, please let me know. I'm using you as a reference point to know when I should be hearing something back for the same thing, lol.

@Betweencultures @Jonathan82  

Thanks for keeping this thread update. I applied for my husband's ITIN in early June 2020. Based on your experience, it seems it could take 5 months (or longer) for the IRS to issue him a ITIN. 

I am assuming once I receive the ITIN, all I would have to do is update the the state tax file. The federal one should be all set to go...right? I'll also update this thread when things progress. 

Hi, @Charminder67 !

Yes, you don't need to do anything for the federal tax filing after receiving the ITIN since you already did when you applied the ITIN.

But I'm not sure for the state one, since I live in Texas and don't need to do the state tax filing.

Hope you get the answer soon for your husband's ITIN as well!

Cheers!

Congrats @Betweencultures !

I still don't hear anything about the tax return yet.

I'll keep update you if I have any progress. 😉

@Jonathan82 So it appears that they received my documents and are processing them right now. I just checked online. I also got the passport already and sent it back to my wife.

How are things going on your side? 

@Betweencultures 

Thanks for the updates!

Good to hear that you got the passport back! 🙂

However, for some reason(I don't know the reason exactly), the return status check on the IRS website shows that they cannot provide any information about my refund. Hoping there's no problem and will just wait for any answers.

Hi,

Thanks for updating in the thread.

I applied in beginning on June also.

Have you received any updates yet ?

Thanks,

MJD

@Jonathan82 
Well, I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my tax refund.

It took a very long time, but I finally got it. The IRS website said that it was still reviewing my tax return after 21 days from the day they “received” it. It was like that for 2-3 days and then it said that my refund was approved.

Thank you very much for having started this thread.

For those that are curious, I sent my tax return along with a W-7 (ITIN application for my wife) on March 30th. I got her ITIN around August. They received my tax return on September 7th, and I got my refund on October 5th.

Good luck to you all who are still waiting. Just know that there is hope, regardless of how long it takes.

Thank you for the update! I handed the ITIN application/Tax file early June. Still waiting for the ITIN as well as my refund.

How did you receive the ITIN-- was it mailed to you?

not yet!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies