turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to fix your W-4 withholding

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What do you mean "fix"? 

Just submit a new W-4 to your employer with the new withholding that you want.  That will only affect the amount for withholding for the rest of 2020.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My employer cannot help me change my exceptions on my W-4 withholding because of the new system. They are not taking any taxes out of my paycheck which will affect my income tax next year so the withholding has to change. I have tried to put it at 2 but it will not change it what do I do? Where can I go to get this fixed besides the irs.gov.

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Only your employer has control over the withholding amounts when they process your paycheck. They are required to withhold taxes. They will need to correct the error. This is not optional for the employer.

In the meantime, you may want to make estimated tax payments to the IRS to ensure you do not have a large balance due when you file your 2020 tax return.

Form 1040-ES Estimated Tax Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies