Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I contact the IRS during the COVID-19 lockdown?

I received a letter on February 13th stating that the IRS was verifying my return. It says for me to contact them after 60 days if I have not heard from them, or received my refund. With the lockdown all of the local offices are closed. How can I contact them? I really need my refund, after being furloughed from my job.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

If there is a phone number on your notice, call that one regularly, or you can try calling 1-800-829-1040.  However, as you already know, there is very limited staff available at IRS.

I recommend that you respond via letter and continue to try to call.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am in a similar situation.  Unfortunately, 1-800-829-1040 does not work.  I have checked the status of my refund but I have the "Your tax return is still being processed" message.  Not sure what they are questioning/reviewing as we have very straight forward taxes and I double checked what we submitted - it's correct.  We have not received a letter in the mail.  It would be nice to get our refund... 🙂  Any advice on how to contact the IRS right now?

@KarenM90 

I understand your frustration. I been waiting for a return  since February on my Federal return alone and waiting longer now with the stimulus check. I get the same message and there is no one to write to only the same automated machine that tells you nothing of a explanation other than "still processing."Good luck!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing paper returns at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies