Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wisconsin US Armed Forces Duty Pay & Reserve National Guard Member Adjustment

Help!  I am a national guard member in Wisconsin, but was deployed for half of the year in 2021 to a Combat Zone.  Left the country in January 2021 and returned to the states at the end of July 2021, but remained on active duty till September 10th, 2021 to used my leave and downtime.  

Wisconsin has 2 sections for the military that I appear to qualify for, but am unsure of what to enter for each. 

The first is the US Armed Forces Active Duty Pay.  Since I was deployed and put on Active Duty under 10 USC 12302 and in a combat zone, all of my pay was tax exempt while I was overseas. There is a small portion that was taxed while still on active duty, but wasn't in a combat zone for that month (August & September 2021 for my leave and downtime from deployment).  On my W-2 the only portion in Box 1 is the pay made on Active Duty that didn't qualify for tax exempt as well as my weekend pay for when I went back to my national guard non active duty pay.

Do I fill in only the taxed amount in box 1 for just the active duty pay received and/or do I include the combat zone nontaxed pay as well in that number that is listed in box 12 under letter Q?

For the Reserve National Guard Member Adjustment, my question is essentially the same.  Am I only including the active duty amount in box 1 or do I also include the combat zone tax exclusion active duty pay as well?

Note: The state tax amount on my W-2 is the same amount listed in box 1.

Hopefully I have explained everything as clearly as possible.  Thanks for the help in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Wisconsin US Armed Forces Duty Pay & Reserve National Guard Member Adjustment

No, do not include the amount of your combat pay that is listed in box 12 with code Q. That pay is exempt from federal and state tax, so you don't need to make any adjustment for it.  

That is true for both adjustments.

Thank you for your service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies