Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sbe3

How do I enter an adjustment to my Wisconsin State Tax to credit the allowable State Tax Refund amount?

Form 1 line 1 of Wisconsin State Tax Subtractions from income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

How do I enter an adjustment to my Wisconsin State Tax to credit the allowable State Tax Refund amount?

Follow the steps below to deduct your MN tax rebate from your income so you won’t pay state tax on it: 

1. Select Prepare State from menu on left side and select Start
  2. Select MN and select Continue
  3. Scroll through the screens and when you get to Tell Us About Other Income Adjustments, select Received a one-time tax rebate for tax year 2023 from the State of Minnesota and select Continue
  4. Enter the Rebate Payment Amount

You will see the subtraction of your MN rebate from your income on line 7 of your MN M1 form since your rebate is not taxable in MN.

For more information, review MN Department of Revenue - Direct Tax Rebate Payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sbe3

Thank you, but I am in Wisconsin, not Min.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Line 1 of the WI form SB for the subtraction of "taxable refund of state income tax" flows from the Federal form 1040, Schedule 1, Line 1.  When you enter your state income tax refund forms 1099-G in the federal "Wages & Income" section, your answers to the interview questions there determine any taxable amount of those state/local refunds.  If any are taxable, it goes to the Schedule 1 and to the WI form SB.   

For example if you used the standard deduction last year any state tax refund will be non-taxable and not on Schedule 1 or the WI form SB.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies