turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is in the military and were station in Hawaii. Were both from cali and claimed it as our state through the Military spouse residency relief act. I work in Hawaii, was I suppose to claim Hawaii instead of cali?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is in the military and were station in Hawaii. Were both from cali and claimed it as our state through the Military spouse residency relief act. I work in Hawaii, was I suppose to claim Hawaii instead of cali?

You, In fact should have claimed hawaii, although it will alter your tax return significantly, due to different tax rates etc. i would double check the military residency relief act, because its a eh line to go down i know a few people that did it the way you did and they didn't get audited and still haven't. but it should be in the ACT form where it says to claim. If you are on a normal business job yourself not through the military or government paid i would highly recommend changing it. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You, In fact should have claimed hawaii, although it will alter your tax return significantly, due to different tax rates etc. i would double check the military residency relief act, because its a eh line to go down i know a few people that did it the way you did and they didn't get audited and still haven't. but it should be in the ACT form where it says to claim. If you are on a normal business job yourself not through the military or government paid i would highly recommend changing it. 

Thank you for your answer it was very helpful.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies