midnight_thunder

Should we be paying $795 for Michigan state taxes if my husband is active military? Military is exempt in Michigan, he contributed to a TSP and we have a child.

We haven't paid Michigan state taxes on any of his income since he joined, so I'm just unsure of why we suddenly have $795 due according to turbotax. We are full-time residents of Michigan and I had no income for 2018 to be taxed on.
TomD8

Did your husband have any non-military income in 2019?  Only his active duty military pay is tax-exempt.

In the personal info section of TT, did he indicate that he was active duty military?

See this for more info:  https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7-238-75545_43715-153976--,00.html

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
midnight_thunder

He did not receive any other pay, and yes he selected that he was active duty military. 

midnight_thunder

I got it figured out! I cleared and restarted the entire thing. While I was going back through, there were multiple items that asked if he was active the whole year, and one of the items had been deselected to choose "none of the above". Once that was corrected, state taxes were no longer due.