Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kwilkk

Military Spouse and State Taxes

So I see a lot of people asking the same question but I have no clarity on how to file. I am a military spouse of an active duty servicemember, both of our home of records is AL. We are stationed in CA on orders. I have made W2 income in CA, but my taxes were not withheld, so I know I owe. What questions do I answer on our joint return in order to pay AL taxes for the CA income I have earned?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

After you do the Federal return, file a non-resident CA return if CA tax was withheld (to get the tax refunded) 

Next do the FULL -YEAR RESIDENT AL return and claim all your income. 

In the "Personal Info" section you should have selected AL as your State of Legal Residence. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You only report your California income on your Alabama state tax return.  You should also be filing as Married Filing Jointly on the AL return.  You do not file a California return if no CA taxes were withheld on the W-2.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for military spouses - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/military-spouses-state-taxes...

kwilkk

So am I supposed to mark that I lived in another state or made income in another state?

kwilkk

So am I supposed to mark that I lived in another state or made income in another state?

No, do not indicate you lived in another state or earned income in another state

.....since you are claiming AL as resident state, all that CA income is treated As-IF it was earned in Alabama.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies