turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dedego29

Im active duty military and didn’t file taxes in 2016 or 2017 but I filled them this year. What happens now

I was stationed over seas so I didn’t think I had too. I don’t have a car or house and I’m single with no dependents. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PhyllisG

Im active duty military and didn’t file taxes in 2016 or 2017 but I filled them this year. What happens now

If your total income from all sources did not exceed your filing requirement (e.g. 2016 - $10, 650 Single Status and 2017 - $10,400 for Single Status), then you do not have to file a tax return for the 2016 and 2017 tax years.

However, because taxes may have been withheld, then you should file to claim a refund.  You have 3 years from the due date of each return to receive a refund. For example:

The 2016 tax return was due April 18, 2017.  You have until April 18, 2020 to receive a refund.

The 2017 tax return is due April 15, 2018.  You have until April 15, 2021 to claim your refund.

Your prior year returns must be filed on the original tax forms. You can easily access prior year tax forms on the TurboTax website by:

1. Select your operating system
  2. Purchase your TurboTax product
  3. Download and install your TurboTax product
  4. Complete your return in TurboTax
  5. When finished, print and file a paper return through the mail.

You can also secure paper forms at the Internal Revenue Service website https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year.

You will need to refer to your states taxing agency to secure paper copies of the 2016 and 2017 tax returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies