turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was Active Duty in 2020. law states Active Duty Military in KY do not pay state. My taxes filed had me paying state and Amend is saying I have to pay an additional $7.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I was Active Duty in 2020. law states Active Duty Military in KY do not pay state. My taxes filed had me paying state and Amend is saying I have to pay an additional $7.

Yes, active duty pay is not taxed in KY. If your military income was your only KY income then you do not need to file a KY state income tax return. 

From Kentucky Revenue Department:

"Active duty servicemembers will claim the exemption by excluding military pay when filing a Kentucky individual income tax return. Provided the military member has no income other than military pay, he or she is not required to file a Kentucky income tax return. The active duty military pay exemption applies to all Kentucky servicemembers regardless of where the servicemember is stationed. Kentucky income tax should no longer be withheld from checks received for military pay beginning January 1, 2010."

If you have other KY income, then please make sure  you checked the active-duty military box for the W-2 on the "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" screen that appears  after you enter your W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies