turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pamymodel

I’m in the military and stationed in another state . When I’m filing my state taxes it’s telling I’m owing the state some money . Can somebody help me please

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I’m in the military and stationed in another state . When I’m filing my state taxes it’s telling I’m owing the state some money . Can somebody help me please

What state are you stationed in? What state is your home of record? Is all your income active duty pay, or did you have a side job in the state in which you are stationed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
spencerj

Similar question along same line of legal considerations:

I am military, resident of TX.  Spouse is non-mil, and allowed to choose my resident state as hers.  We are stationed in NC.  She has a job in NC.  Do we need to file NC state taxes or just press on and ignore the apps warnings?  If yes, then how do I make sure on the app/website while doing the state taxes is only accounting for HER income and not my military non taxable income?  Currently the app is not very specific on these considerations.  Thanks in advance.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. You will need to file a NC return (as a nonresident) because she earned income in NC.   TurboTax will handle this situation easily; it is quite common.  You will both leave TX as your resident state in the My Info section.  Then, at the bottom of that screen, you will answer YES to the did you make money in any other states question and enter NC.  This will trigger the non-resident return.   When you get to the state return, you will only provide information regarding her wages there.   @spencerj

How do I file a nonresident state return?

Military Spouses and State Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@spencerj 

Go here...better explanation about whether you need to file nonresident taxes for her in NC, or not...some "Ifs" are involved, depending on whether she had NC withholding done, or not, and whether she had filed an NC-4EZ with her employer claiming TX residency as a military spouse.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/military/discussion/non-military-spouse-state-taxes-portion-is-con...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
pamymodel

I’m stationed in Maryland and my home record state is Oklahoma. Yes all my income is active duty pay with no side job . 

@pamymodel   

So you wouldn't have to file a MD Non-resident tax return (if married spouse wouldn't either if she/he is claiming OK residency too...unless spouse is working a self-employment job in MD)

OK exempts your military pay from taxation, but you probably still have to file the OK tax forms anyhow, even if no state taxes due.  The place to remove the Military pay is likely in the OK interview somewhere as you work thru it...but I don't have the OK software to check.  IF you are married and civilian spouse is working, and claiming OK residency with you, then that income would be OK-taxable  ..... (along with any of your own "other " income, bank interest, dividends, investment income...though you may not have any)

https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/511Pkt-20.pdf

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies