turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got over six thousand dollars from my mother's Van guard account after she passed. How do I enter it and where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I got over six thousand dollars from my mother's Van guard account after she passed. How do I enter it and where?

It depends on the nature of the income from the Vanguard account.  If the money was held in the account in the form of cash and that is what you received, then you do not report it on your tax return.  Cash inheritances are not taxable as income to you.

If the money was in a retirement account (such as an IRA), then you will receive a Form 1099-R to report the distribution on your tax return.  You will enter the information from the Form 1099-R to determine the amount that is taxable.

If the money was being held in stocks that were sold and then the funds were distributed to you, then you should receive a Form 1099-B to report the stock sales on your return.

@farrell3963

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on the nature of the income from the Vanguard account.  If the money was held in the account in the form of cash and that is what you received, then you do not report it on your tax return.  Cash inheritances are not taxable as income to you.

If the money was in a retirement account (such as an IRA), then you will receive a Form 1099-R to report the distribution on your tax return.  You will enter the information from the Form 1099-R to determine the amount that is taxable.

If the money was being held in stocks that were sold and then the funds were distributed to you, then you should receive a Form 1099-B to report the stock sales on your return.

@farrell3963

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Basically, an inheritance is not taxable or reportable on any tax return. Yes, there are exceptions such as the inheritance of a tax-deferred retirement account. But while the inheritance inself may not be taxable or reportable, any accumulated earnings on that money that accumulated after the passing of the deceased, is taxable income to the beneficiary recipient.  If this is your case, then you will receive some kind of tax reporting document that you would be required to report on your tax return. If you received no such document, then you have nothing to report. However, if you are not sure then you need to contact the administrator of the account or funds and ask.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies