turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't have any w twos. I'm on SSII wasn't the military and got a general discharge. Should I file taxes I am currently buying a house

I was In the military and got a general discharge. I am on SSI.I am buying a house.  I don't have any w2 forms
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I don't have any w twos. I'm on SSII wasn't the military and got a general discharge. Should I file taxes I am currently buying a house

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are to be entered on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.

However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
Single or Head of Household - $25,000
Married Filing Separately - 0

If your discharge was in 2023...you may well get a W-2 from DFAS.....but those aren't due to be sent out until late January of 2024....so don't be in a hurry to E-file.

Or...if they don't have yoru most recent address, you may be able to get it online in late January thru DFAS's myPay webpage:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service > militaryseparations > W2 (dfas.mil)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies