mickeymwatson56

I am in the military stationed in Virginia, but my hope of residency is in Alabama. I own a home in Virginia how do I claim the Virginia state taxes?

When I input the home tax information it applies the refund to my Alabama tax return.

DanielV01

Yes.  Since you are resident of Alabama (according to Individuals Subject to Alabama Income Tax, section 1(c)), any deduction for your home is deducted on your Alabama Tax Return as itemized deductions.  See:  Alabama’s  (Instruction booklet), p. 18, column 3 under “Section 5”.  Even though you own a home in Virginia, Alabama considers you as “domiciled” or living, in Alabama.  You should not even have to pay Virginia Tax (unless you worked a job in Virginia that is not active duty military.)

See the following FAQ for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300147

DanielV01