turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband is military. I (wife) worked in our duty station state (which is not his home of residence for taxes) and he only has military income. do I file state separate?

we are filing federal married-joint. How do I figure out state taxes??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Husband is military. I (wife) worked in our duty station state (which is not his home of residence for taxes) and he only has military income. do I file state separate?

Typically, no, you will not file separate state returns, however, each state has it's own laws governing how to handle taxation of military income and the spouses income.  Here is a link to use to find how the state you are residing in and your resident (home of record) state handles your incomes. 

Typically, you would file a joint federal return and a joint state return in your joint home of record state.  In other words you select the same resident state as your military husband and file jointly in that state. 

Most states do not tax the salary/wage income of the spouse of a military member who is in the state only to be with the military spouse on military orders.  The spouse's income is instead taxed by the resident (home of record) state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies