turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mssaffren

Do I need to file a non resident Maryland state income tax? My husband is active duty military and I am self employed while here in MD, our state of residence is Texas.

I have a question on filing a non resident Maryland state tax return. My husband is active duty military, our official residential domicile is Texas, which has no state taxes, so we do not need to file a state return for Texas, but we live in Maryland on military orders, and I am the spouse and I am self-employed working in Maryland. 

My question is, do I need to file a Maryland tax return for my income I made while self employed in MD, even though we are considered non residents (Texas residents) and will owe maryland nothing in taxes since my husbands Income isn’t taxable in MD and my income is a business loss which would cause the MD state tax return to zero out to nothing owed nothing received back. 

First time living in a state with state taxes and I want to file properly and want to see if I need to file a MD tax return.

Thank you for your help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Do I need to file a non resident Maryland state income tax? My husband is active duty military and I am self employed while here in MD, our state of residence is Texas.

No - If you qualify under the MSRRA and claim TX as your home of record, you will not need to file an MD state income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies