Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbeekner

Do I have to file HI taxes if my company taxed my paycheck in GA? I'm military spouse so my residency is GA and moved to HI halfway in the year.

My spouse's active duty pay is taxed in GA
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Do I have to file HI taxes if my company taxed my paycheck in GA? I'm military spouse so my residency is GA and moved to HI halfway in the year.

As the spouse of an active duty servicemember, you are permitted to use his State of Legal Residence (SLR) as your own home state for state tax filing purposes.  You may also use your own home state if you prefer.  It's your choice.

So if your servicemember's spouse's SLR is GA, you may choose to file only in GA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

You should have filed for state tax exemption so that your employer does not withhold taxes for HI - but they will withhold taxes for your SLR. This is under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (MSRRA).

https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/tir/tir10-01.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies