Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kscoutb

As an active military member and a resident of WV I do not have to pay state taxes during the duration of my service. How do I get Turbo tax to reflect this.

The military Mypay system also confirms this and does not withhold any income.  The one year I did file they took the money and when I called they basically said dont file and you can try and ammend your state tax returns.  I never got the money back
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

As an active military member and a resident of WV I do not have to pay state taxes during the duration of my service. How do I get Turbo tax to reflect this.

If you qualify to be a nonresident and need to file because of other West Virginia income or taxes withheld then you will need to change your residency when you get to the state return in TurboTax. Select Nonresident.

You qualify as nonresident if you were stationed outside of West Virginia and were not physical present in West Virginia for more than 30 days. You will have to file a nonresident return if you had any other West Virginia Income. Otherwise you will not have to file a state tax return since your military pay is not taxable in West Virginia.

"You must file a resident return and report all of your income in the same manner as any other resident individual unless you did not maintain a physical presence in West Virginia for more than 30 days during the taxable year. If you did not spend more than 30 days in West Virginia and you had income from a West Virginia source, you may be required to file an income tax return with West Virginia like any other Nonresident individual, depending on the type of income received" (West Virginia Tax Department)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies