LoriM

As a JROTC Instructor, my pay is based on active duty military pay for my current rank, including Basic Allowance for Housing. Is the BAH taxable?

MaryK1

No, BAH and BAS is never taxable income.

LoriM

I don't think it's that simple.  I am retired from the army and working as a JTROC instructor.  BAH is not separated out in my paycheck... so my full compensation, including BAH, is listed in box 1 on my W2.  My total compensation is based on an amount that includes BAH, but since I am no longer active duty I am unsure if its taxable.  And if it is not, how do I deduct that?
MaryK1

Thank you for waiting, I wanted to check the information,  For the JTROC program, you are actually an employee of the school so a BAH amount is included as part of your pay but it is not excluded as nontaxable benefit.  You do pay taxes on it because it is part of your compensation.
LoriM

I think the question arises because 1/2 of our pay comes from the school and the other 1/2 actually comes from the US government (as a reimbursement to the school).  Several instructors I know do exempt BAH from their income.  I just wanted to make sure this was okay before we did.  I think it's safer to pay taxes on the full amount.  thanks for your response.
MaryK1

Yes, I agree. I will send an email to a friend jag and see if they have any opinions and/or guidance and I will add if I find anything more
LoriM

thank you so much!