xolilkay21xo

Active duty military resident of WV stationed in VA with spouse, do I file for state taxes?

I am currently active duty military that is stationed in VA. My wife and I are both residents of WV and we do not have any income from the state of WV so do we have to file the state tax return?
DanielV01

It depends.  You are residents of West Virginia, and the following FAQ addresses how this is determined.  There are a number of helpful links and examples, including “Military Spouses and State Taxes”; feel free to read through these:

West Virginia does not tax active-duty military income, but they may ask for your “marching orders” according to their state website.  (See link to state websites in above FAQ).  However, if either you or your wife had additional income for work that is not active-duty military, this is taxable and you would have to file.  TurboTax will help determine which forms are required.