turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Active Duty Enlisted, Free Service

I am E6 Active Duty and trying to file my taxes for free but I keep getting prompted to pay $178. This is the first time I have experienced this issue since joining the military in 2014. I read through some forums/Q&A on the turbotax website and tried some of the proposed solutions (ensuring EIN correctly written, selecting Active Military Duty, deleting the W-2 and re-entering it) but none work. Please help, Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

MILITARY DISCOUNT

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/military-edition.jsp

(There are no military discounts on “Live” versions, thee CD/download or on add-on features)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

True, if you somehow selected LIVE service....that isn't covered.

But if you didn't select LIVE service....you should, check/edit the W-2 again.

On the page AFTER the main W-2 form, there is a page with a whole long list of checkboxes.  Right in the middle is one that must be checked.....indicating that the W-2 received was for Active Duty service.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Understood, however I have never used the "Live" version and I am not using it this time around either. I have also checked the box for military pay on the next page after entering the income but still arrive to the same problem.

@SteamTrain I didn't choose the live version and I have triple checked all the information was entered correctly and selected military pay...just at a loss as to why it is being weird this year.

@thomtaylor23   

What software version are you actually using?

Probably not the one that is labelled as "Free" , or it wouldn't be charging you.

Even the other versions are supposed to be free for you, and if you are using Deluxe or higher, you can contact Customer Support, and if they can't work out the problem, they might issue a service code that pays for it.  I know they did for one other military person in the same situation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies