turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ttfn
Returning Member

How to enter a 1099-misc for rental less than 14 days..."schedule e" gives me an error because it is less than 14 days and therefore not taxable.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

How to enter a 1099-misc for rental less than 14 days..."schedule e" gives me an error because it is less than 14 days and therefore not taxable.

When you receive a 1099-misc for  home rental income 14 days or less enter the amount in the Less Common Income section,: Miscellaneous Income  and then click  Other Reportable Income .

Use the description  "14 day rent rule" .That takes care of reporting the income.

Then same steps ,same description, enter the same amount as a negative.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
view2

When you receive a 1099-misc for  home rental income 14 days or less enter the amount in the Less Common Income section,: Miscellaneous Income  and then click  Other Reportable Income .

Use the description  "14 day rent rule" .That takes care of reporting the income.

Then same steps ,same description, enter the same amount as a negative.

ttfn
Returning Member

Thank You!!! Much Appreciated...
view2

Your welcome.

Your suggestion directly contradicts TurboTax's instructions for Other Reportable Income ("Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC"), and it doesn't match the IRS' own instructions:  "There's a special rule if you use a dwelling unit as a residence and rent it for fewer than 15 days. In this case, don't report any of the rental income and don't deduct any expenses as rental expenses." Maybe it's the best way, but TurboTax needs to handle this situation itself, properly!
view2

@skierpage .. If you get a 1099 and do not report you get a letter from the IRS , your choice .on how to report.
nilsenjr

Turbo tax really missed the boat on handling this. If you don't report the 1099 then IRS flags your return for unreported income. So -you need to report it and the zero it out. Turbo instructions please and update your software!

How do I "zero out" the 1099 misc rental income that is less than 15 days?

Thanks

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@johndeerehunter  As @view2 says above you will go to the 'Wages and Income' section and scroll down to 'Other Income' and enter the income from the 1099-MISC.  It asks for a description of the income and in that space you will put "14 day rent rule".  Then, on the next line, put the same description and a negative of the same amount as you put on the first line.  That will zero out the amount so that it is reported to the IRS but not taxed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great!

Thanks for getting back on this. 

mbellware

I'm using TTX Home and Business and I don't seem to have those options.  Can you please further explain.  Specifically I'm confused as to where the 1099-MISC goes.  Do I not put the income at all under the 1099-MISC section ONLY under the LESS COMMON INCOME: MISCELLANEOUS INCOME: Then type in the 1099-MISC as best possible?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps:

1. Log into your return
  2. Go to Federal
  3. Click on Income
  4. Scroll to the bottom section,  Less Common Income
  5. Select Miscellaneous income, 1099-A, 1099-C, start
  6. Select Other income not already reported on a W2 or 1099, start/edit
  7. Other wages? Yes, continue
  8. continue, continue
  9. Other Earned Income, yes, continue
  10. Source? other, continue
  11. Description - 1099 MISC, amount
  12. done

continue, continue

When I went to file in the Less Common section it says DO NOT enter information from 1099 MISC. What do I do?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What form are you trying to enter and what Is the reason you got the form (what kind of income was it for)?   This thread is old and I'm not sure which post you are replying to so I need a little more info.   You can enter the form in different places depending on why you got it.  @megpatpren08 

Hello,

Thanks for your response. 

I have a 1099-MISC form that I received for a TV production being filmed on the property of my primary residence. They used my land but not my actual house and we were living in our house throughout the duration of filming. The length of filming was 11 days. I think there is a "14 day rule" but, I am not sure how to file this information.  The box that is filled on the 1099-MISC is "rents".  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies