turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How should I report the cost basis of sold stocks if their original purchase date and price is unknown?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How should I report the cost basis of sold stocks if their original purchase date and price is unknown?

You should use your best approximation of the purchase date and the historical stock price to report the cost basis. 

If the valuation of the stock was unlikely to be very different on June 1, 2010 than June 15, 2010.

If you are working in good faith, the IRS cannot fault you for your approximation efforts.

Follow this link for a tool for historical stock prices: Historical Stock Prices

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should use your best approximation of the purchase date and the historical stock price to report the cost basis. 

If the valuation of the stock was unlikely to be very different on June 1, 2010 than June 15, 2010.

If you are working in good faith, the IRS cannot fault you for your approximation efforts.

Follow this link for a tool for historical stock prices: Historical Stock Prices

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies