Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smnorth

Can I depreciate an inherited house that is being rented out? It was not a rental until I inherited it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

Can I depreciate an inherited house that is being rented out? It was not a rental until I inherited it.

Yes, you can depreciate the inherited property's basis (value) over the useful life of the property. This value is estimated by the fair market value at the time of the decedent's death, minus any estimated land value. Check to see if the executor of the estate used an alternate valuation date. Then you would use the FMV on the alternate valuation date. This would only make a difference if the value of the property changed considerably over the 6 months after the date of death.  

The alternate valuation date falls six months after the date of death, and in some situations, using the alternate date dramatically reduces estate taxes. If the people handling the estate make that election, then your cost basis going forward will be the value of the property on that alternate date, rather than the date of death.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CathiM

Yes, you can depreciate the inherited property's basis (value) over the useful life of the property. This value is estimated by the fair market value at the time of the decedent's death, minus any estimated land value. Check to see if the executor of the estate used an alternate valuation date. Then you would use the FMV on the alternate valuation date. This would only make a difference if the value of the property changed considerably over the 6 months after the date of death.  

The alternate valuation date falls six months after the date of death, and in some situations, using the alternate date dramatically reduces estate taxes. If the people handling the estate make that election, then your cost basis going forward will be the value of the property on that alternate date, rather than the date of death.

smnorth

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies