turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Would it be better for tax purposes to buy a shed for a home office and write the cost of purchase off, or rent to own and use the rent as a write off?

I'm looking into buying a shed to use as a home office so that I am not taking over the house anymore! Would it be a smarter business move to buy the shed out right and then claim it as a deduction on my taxes (including the installation) or rent to own it and then claiming the monthly rent as a tax deduction?? I currently just have two small businesses that don't make an exceptional amount of money so I don't know which one would work better when it comes to tax deductions it's all pretty new to me!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Would it be better for tax purposes to buy a shed for a home office and write the cost of purchase off, or rent to own and use the rent as a write off?

The best option would really depend on how much you make from your two businesses, how much of your disposable income you plan to spend on the office building, and what the monthly rent-to-own would be. I would personally be inclined to buy it outright and claim the building AND depreciation on it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies