Why is turbo tax including form 199A (Rental Real ...

userhazen

Why is turbo tax including form 199A (Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement) with my return. I have verified that I have not flagged is option on all of my rentals?

The question in turbo tax is:  Do you want to use a safe harbor to qualify this property for a deduction?  I chose, None of these apply; however, this form is still attached in my return.

It has to be a bug in turbo tax.  I went through each rental and clicked I elect to use a safe harbor for this property on its own and then clicked none of these apply and now it is attaching two forms 199A forms for each of my rentals.
MaryM428

If you do not want the safe harbor, you can delete the 199A forms.

In desktop, you bring up the form in Forms mode and then click delete at the bottom of the form.

In online TurboTax you must be on a browser, not the app.

Tax Tools, Tools, Delete a Form

If the form comes back then there is something on one of the properties that is triggering it.  

You have checked all of your properties, so the forms should stay deleted.

Safe Harbor allows a QBI deduction and the option to expense items up to $2,500 rather than depreciating them over a period of years.

userhazen

Yes, I already found that trick to bypass the bug in turbo tax.  Thanks

qq1960

What is the trick. I have the same problem. 

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

userhazen

Guess, there is too many bugs in turbo tax that fixing this one was not a priority.

DianeW777

It is not a software error. The reason is because there are two questions that must be answered before TurboTax makes a final determination as to whether you believe your rental real estate activity meets the requirements to utilize the qualified business income deduction (QBID).

1. Open your TurboTax return > Search (upper right) type rentals > Press enter > Click the Jump to ... link
  2. Edit next to your rental activity > Scroll to Qualified Business Income > Edit/Update >
  3. Select 'None of the above' on the Real Estate Professional page
  4. Continue to the page Do you want to use a safe harbor.... Select 'None of these apply' > Continue
  5. Select 'No', on the page  Is this Qualified Business Income?
    • OR
  6. Open your TurboTax return > Search (upper right) type Qualified business income deduction  > Press enter > Click the Jump to ... link
  7.  Arrive at the QBID section to answer the questions shown above

Once this is completed, you should not have any statement included with your tax return.