turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

userhazen
Returning Member

Why is turbo tax including form 199A (Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement) with my return. I have verified that I have not flagged is option on all of my rentals?

The question in turbo tax is:  Do you want to use a safe harbor to qualify this property for a deduction?  I chose, None of these apply; however, this form is still attached in my return.

It has to be a bug in turbo tax.  I went through each rental and clicked I elect to use a safe harbor for this property on its own and then clicked none of these apply and now it is attaching two forms 199A forms for each of my rentals.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why is turbo tax including form 199A (Rental Real Estate Safe Harbor Statement) with my return. I have verified that I have not flagged is option on all of my rentals?

If you do not want the safe harbor, you can delete the 199A forms.

In desktop, you bring up the form in Forms mode and then click delete at the bottom of the form.

In online TurboTax you must be on a browser, not the app.

Tax Tools, Tools, Delete a Form

If the form comes back then there is something on one of the properties that is triggering it.  

You have checked all of your properties, so the forms should stay deleted.

Safe Harbor allows a QBI deduction and the option to expense items up to $2,500 rather than depreciating them over a period of years.

userhazen
Returning Member

Yes, I already found that trick to bypass the bug in turbo tax.  Thanks

What is the trick. I have the same problem. 

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

userhazen
Returning Member

Guess, there is too many bugs in turbo tax that fixing this one was not a priority.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It is not a software error. The reason is because there are two questions that must be answered before TurboTax makes a final determination as to whether you believe your rental real estate activity meets the requirements to utilize the qualified business income deduction (QBID).

1. Open your TurboTax return > Search (upper right) type rentals > Press enter > Click the Jump to ... link
  2. Edit next to your rental activity > Scroll to Qualified Business Income > Edit/Update >
  3. Select 'None of the above' on the Real Estate Professional page
  4. Continue to the page Do you want to use a safe harbor.... Select 'None of these apply' > Continue
  5. Select 'No', on the page  Is this Qualified Business Income?
    • OR
  6. Open your TurboTax return > Search (upper right) type Qualified business income deduction  > Press enter > Click the Jump to ... link
  7.  Arrive at the QBID section to answer the questions shown above

Once this is completed, you should not have any statement included with your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Randall55555
Returning Member

I am trying to file 2021 and getting the same issues - I delete the form but then I still will have the error at filing.  I have selected no QBID and still this form is required?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies