turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bg149

Why is my PA state form Schedule D not properly transferring cost basis, proceeds, and disallowed wash sale data from federal form 8949?

I have wash sale / cost / proceed adjustments from my 1099-b box 1g that I've imported into my Federal return for completing form 8959.  However, when I completed my State return, form Pennsylvania Schedule D, the disallowed wash sale / cost basis adjustments are not reflected.  Therefore, I have a capital gain on my federal return of around $6K (which is correct), but just realized my State return shows a net loss of over ($65K), which is obviously incorrect.  My column "Adjustments to gain or loss from Form(s) 8949, Part I, line 2, column (g)" on my federal return is $71K (which is the amount shown on brokerage 1099-B) but the effect of this is not being reflected in the gain or loss computation for my State return.

I've never had this be a problem before, as I just checked my 2017 and 2016 returns with no issues, which were also completed via turbo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why is my PA state form Schedule D not properly transferring cost basis, proceeds, and disallowed wash sale data from federal form 8949?

PA does not follow  the federal wash sale rules.  Report the Schedule D transactions without the wash sale adjustments.

Search "wash sale"
Anna4188
Returning Member

I'm currently having this exact issue. Did you happen to figure out what to do? Did you have to manually adjust every trade? I have hundreds and hundreds of day trades. Did you actually mail in your entire 1099-b? Please share if you can!! Thank you!

bg149

Sorry to say that I did not figure out how to do this systematically or through the upload of my 1099-B brokerage data.  Back when I posted this I was in the process of filing an amended return because I didn't realize the data didn't transfer to my PA return correctly before filing (I was in a rush and never had that problem before in almost 10 years of using TT!).  When I filed my amended return I just dumped all my brokerage data into Excel and made it look like PA Schedule D so I could manipulate each line to reflect the correct G/L and cost basis, etc.  

Unfortunately I'm dealing with the same issue for my 2020 tax return, which is why I haven't filed yet.  I too have hundreds of lines of trades, and quite frankly it is very annoying that TT can't import major brokerage data correctly for my state return.

Anna4188
Returning Member

I discovered my brokerage offers a gain/loss report unadjusted for wash sales. I figured I would use the net gain/ loss from that report on the schedule D and then attach the report as a PDF along with my 1099-b. I brought my info to a CPA today for advice and because I would want her to e-file the return for me since it's hundreds of pages long. She was hesitant to prepare the schedule D in this manner but eventually said it made sense. Is that how you are manipulating the numbers also? Or are you manipulating them to match the federal gain?

bg149

I will have to see if my brokers offer a 1099 unadjusted for wash sales for 2020.  If I can get one I will probably take the approach you are taking.  Report that net G/L amount on the PA schedule D and attach the “unadjusted for wash sale 1099” as support.   Which brokerage do you use?  I have some activity from Vanguard and some from Interactive Brokers.

When I ran into this problem in the past I simply made my gain on my PA state return the same as on my federal return.  If PA accepted my initial return saying I had a $60-some thousand dollar loss surely they weren’t going to give me much of a hard time reporting an amended $6k gain and paying them more in taxes.  Quite frankly at the time I was just so fed up with the whole thing.   

Anna4188
Returning Member

I have Vanguard also for long term holds but all of my active trading is done on Td ameritrade's think or swim platform. It's great. I highly recommend checking it out. The report isn't a 1099 though, just a basic export. It can't be uploaded into turbotax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies