Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why doesn't my amended return have any differences after adding K-1 forms?

I'm trying to amend my return to include two K-1 forms, one showing a loss over $1,000 in Part III, #1, Ordinary business income (loss).  At the review stage, it says "We don't detect any differences between your original 2020 return and your amended return."  When I print the return and select "All official forms required for filing," I don't see the sum of the losses or the individual losses anywhere.  I looked at the IRS instructions for filing K-1 forms which says that the losses should appear on line 2b.  However, 2b hasn't changed.  I spoke with a TurboTax representative for ~45 min, but she couldn't figure it out.

How do my losses appear in the amended return?  If they don't appear, do I need to file an amended return that has no differences?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Was the K-1 for a passive activity where losses are suspended until a sale (or realizing a gain)?  If so, nothing you filed would change, but your TT file would include a K-1 worksheet with the suspended losses to be used in the future.

If that's the case, you don't need to file an amended return, but should keep the new, amended TT file for use in future years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Was the K-1 for a passive activity where losses are suspended until a sale (or realizing a gain)?  If so, nothing you filed would change, but your TT file would include a K-1 worksheet with the suspended losses to be used in the future.

If that's the case, you don't need to file an amended return, but should keep the new, amended TT file for use in future years.

**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

Yes, passive activity where losses are suspended until a sale.  Both K-1's are for oil and gas MLP's.  Thanks for your response.  If I didn't hear back, these K-1's would be nagging at me in the back of my mind for a year.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Since you do not materially participate in the oil and gas partnerships, the losses are considered passive and therefor may not be currently deductible on your tax return.

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies