Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ipc1
Level 2

Why does NPA text appear on Schedule E line 26 when I include personal use days for the rental property?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does NPA text appear on Schedule E line 26 when I include personal use days for the rental property?

It stands for "Non-Passive Activity".

"Pub 925, page 4 "Activities That Are Not Passive Activities"-

The following are not passive activities:

• (3) The rental of a dwelling unit that you also used for personal purposes during the year for more than the greater of 14 days or 10% of the number of days during the year that the home was rented at a fair rental."

Please see the whole discussion here at this Intuit-related website - https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1612060-schedule-e-page-1-npa-appears-on-line-26

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It stands for "Non-Passive Activity".

"Pub 925, page 4 "Activities That Are Not Passive Activities"-

The following are not passive activities:

• (3) The rental of a dwelling unit that you also used for personal purposes during the year for more than the greater of 14 days or 10% of the number of days during the year that the home was rented at a fair rental."

Please see the whole discussion here at this Intuit-related website - https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1612060-schedule-e-page-1-npa-appears-on-line-26

ipc1
Level 2

TurboTaxBillMc,
What is the significance of Schedule E line 26 being identified as a Non-Passive Activity?
ipc1
Level 2

We are not Real Estate Professionals

Non-passive income is taxed at a different rate than passive income. You might read this CPA's explanation (it's clearer than most) - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.bgrcpas.com/news/2017/11/an-overview-of-passive-vs-non-passive-income-in-real-estate/">h...>

The presence of the NPA suggests that perhaps you indicated that you worked more than 750 hours (note: full time is about 2,200 hours per year) in the Schedule E business, which changes the activity from passive to nonpassive.
ipc1
Level 2

TurboTaxBillMc,

Did not claim more than 750 hours in the real estate activity, so this is not the reason for the NPA text.  However we did have personal use days that met the criteria for NPA that you sited from Pub 925: The rental of a dwelling unit that you also used for personal purposes during the year for more than the greater of 14 days or 10% of the number of days during the year that the home was rented at a fair rental.
Did not find in the <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.bgrcpas.com">www.bgrcpas.com</a> /….. link where it explains that non-passive income is taxed at a different rate than passive income, where did you see this?
ipc1
Level 2

TurboTaxBillMc,
Regarding NPA on the Schedule E. It appears that we "qualify as a Vacation Home" for 2018 because of our personal use. Does this mean that I should select "Vacation or Short Term”, or can we stay with our usual “Single family” rental election?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies