Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Whereis form 8949 Data Entry

OK guys, give me a little help here.  My 1099 Div show a capital gain.  I need to report these on form 8949 part II.  So I go to open a form and click on 8949 and it doesn't come up.  It says that it needs data from Schedule D.  So I bring up Schedule D.  In the appropriate box, it tells me that Schedule D gets data from From 8949.  OK, so I can do an overide and that works, but I would rather input the data someplace that would feed the 8949s and wind up on Schedule D.  Do you have a solution for this or are you still working on forms.  My instinct says that you are not done updating the Form 8949.  Please advise.  I'd like to get this done because I also have to file a 1041 and Arizona state form for my B trust, which I would hope that you would include in TurboTax someday.  Yes, I would pay extra for the 1041 but that's another story.

Thanks

Paul Veltman

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Whereis form 8949 Data Entry

My 1099 Div show a capital gain

you report it on the line for capital gain dividends on the 1099-div and only there - box 2a  Turbotax will carry that entry to schedule  D line 13 (if Schedule D is needed).  if you had no security trades schedule D is not prepared. then the capital gain dividend will show up on 1040 line 7 with the box checked 

do not override anything for this - overrides prevent e-filing, do not enter through 8949, IRS might think this is in addition to an unreported capital gain dividend, because it was reported in the wrong place. and send you a bill or notice  to which you would have to respond. 

while Turbotax does not have an online platform for doing trusts, there is Turbotax Business for desktop (windows pc only and the PC must meet minimum system requirements) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies