turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do report the interest and points for mortgage interest from a letter of credit on my rental property that I used to build my personal residence?

I used the letter of credit from my rental property to build my personal residence.  None of the money was used for the rental property.  Where do I deduct the interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
view2

Where do report the interest and points for mortgage interest from a letter of credit on my rental property that I used to build my personal residence?

Unfortunately you lost a deduction..

Because the LOC is on a rental property, it does not qualify as home mortgage interest .For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. 

Also, If the LOC was used for personal purposes, it is not deductible against rental income.

The Internal Revenue Service states you can only write off interest that is related to your rental property activities.

The only way that you can deduct interest on personal-use funds is to take the loan out against your home instead of your investment property.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
view2

Unfortunately you lost a deduction..

Because the LOC is on a rental property, it does not qualify as home mortgage interest .For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. 

Also, If the LOC was used for personal purposes, it is not deductible against rental income.

The Internal Revenue Service states you can only write off interest that is related to your rental property activities.

The only way that you can deduct interest on personal-use funds is to take the loan out against your home instead of your investment property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies