Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report 1099-NEC I received from my oil royalties?

received a 1099-MISC and a 1099-NEC for oil royalties. Where do I report my 1099-NEC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Are they both for the same royalty? Is the treatment of two royalties different? In general, oil royalties should be reported on 1099-MISC.

royalty property is a right to income from natural resources like oil, gas, or mineral properties.

This might also include royalty payments you'd get from copyrights and patents, but only if you are not in the business of creating such works. An example of this might be a patent you purchased in order to collect fees by licensing the patent.

If you regularly create intellectual property such as a copyright or patent (for example, you're a professional author), you should report income from this self-created property as Business Income, not as investment royalties.

COLO

I received a 1099-NEC for a permanent right of way on property from which I receive royalty payments. Where do I report it? I am not in the business of selling rights of way.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Enter the 1099 in the place that best represents the type of income received.  

If the payment you received was for a permanent right-of-way, Form 1099-NEC would not normally be the correct reporting form. You don't usually report payment for an easement, as income.  You only reduce your cost basis in the remaining property, by the amount you received, for when the property is sold in the future.

Contact the payer with any questions about the nature of the payment or why it was reported on For 1099-NEC.

To enter a 1099-MISC for rental income and royalties (Schedule E), go to income from rentals or royalties.

See the discussion in this thread on the topic of rental income for an easement for a wind turbine for more information.

Taxpayers who receive these payments are typically royalty owners who do not have a working interest in extraction operations. Taxpayers should normally report these payments as income on Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040), Supplemental Income and Loss. Income reported on Schedule E is usually not subject to self-employment tax.

Taxpayers who do have a working interest in the operations are subject to self-employment tax and must file Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss from Business. In that case, reporting the payment on Form 1099-NEC would be appropriate.

See also this IRS webpage for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies