turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter Lost Rent in Turbo Tax Premium?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I am not certain about your meaning of "lost rent." Did someone default on a lease, leaving a unit that you own vacant or failed to pay rent and you could not recover it as part of an eviction action? In either of those cases, if you are a cash method taxpayer, there is no deduction, because the rent never was counted in your income.

If, as is less likely, you use accrual method accounting and had already accrued rent into income, the uncollectible amount would be deducted as a business bad debt.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

I am not certain about your meaning of "lost rent." Did someone default on a lease, leaving a unit that you own vacant or failed to pay rent and you could not recover it as part of an eviction action? In either of those cases, if you are a cash method taxpayer, there is no deduction, because the rent never was counted in your income.

If, as is less likely, you use accrual method accounting and had already accrued rent into income, the uncollectible amount would be deducted as a business bad debt.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies