Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
soupman

Where do I enter information for form 3921? When I go to the "Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds" area which is supposed to cover 3921, it only allows me to enter 1099-B stuff.

KathrynG3

In the same Investment Income section, scroll down to ISO Exercise and Hold and Start. TurboTax will ask if you bought the Incentive Stock Options in 2020 and whether or not they were sold during 2020 through the interview. 

For more information about incentive stock options, see 2020 Publication 525: Taxable and Nontaxable Income beginning on page 12, Column 2.

soupman

In that section, after going through the wizard about buying/selling in the same year, it says "Since you sold this ISO stock in the same year you bought it, you don't need to report anything here. Make sure to report the ISO stock sale as an Investment Sale."

There is no way to enter a 3921 here...

The "Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds" section says that it "Covers 1099-B, 3922, 3921," but when you continue it only gives you a chance to enter information from a 1099-B.

pattif12

In TurboTax Online, use the search feature in the upper right section of the screen and type in 3921.

Click on Form 3921 and then select Jump to form 3921 below the search box. 

Follow the prompts.

soupman

Yes, this does take me to form 3921, however the first interview question is this, which directs me to "Report with Investment Sale"

3921 form.png

It then takes me to this screen and assures me that 3921 will be take care of:

soupman

[forum seems to only allow 1 screenshot]

soupman

what-type-of-investment.png

soupman

And then it moves into 1099-B language, which I don't have...

what-bank-for-1099-B_.png

What am I missing?

ReneeM7122

3921 is an informational form only.  It is generally not entered on your tax return unless you then sold the stock, or if you could be subject to alternative minimum tax (AMT).

When you receive form 3921, this means that your employer transferred stock to you because you exercised an incentive stock option (ISO). Because this is a statutory stock option, there are generally no tax consequences for having exercised the option.

To be on the safe side, you can enter the information contained in form 3921 in case you are subject to AMT or to have the information available for future sale of the stock.   

@soupman

Please follow these steps:

1. While in your federal return, click the Search icon in the top right of your screen.
  2. Type 3921 in the box and click the magnifying glass.
  3. In the search results, click the Jump to 3921 hyperlink.
  4. Continue through the interview, entering the requested information.

Answer adapted from IreneS