turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Where do I add rent I paid for my job Al year

I paid rent all year it was to keep me in town for my job where do I put that at
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
3 Replies
Level 15

Where do I add rent I paid for my job Al year

Nowhere. All W-2 job related expenses are no longer deductible as of 2018. Even it it was, rent you pay for a place to live is never deductible on your federal tax return.

If your state offers a renters credit, you'll deal with that on the state return when you get to it. But this renter's credit has nothing what-so-ever to do with your job.


Returning Member

Where do I add rent I paid for my job Al year

First answer is correct there is NO tax break for this.

Expert Alumni

Where do I add rent I paid for my job Al year

Rent as a job expense for W2 work is not deductible on the Federal tax return. It may be deductible, or they may be a renters credit, on the state return.


To enter unreimbursed employee expenses in TurboTax Online:

  • You should be signed into TurboTax and be working in the return.
  • On the black left-hand menu, choose Federal.
  • Then choose Deductions and Credits.
  • Scroll down, choose More Deductions and Credits if you have to.
  • Click Show More in Employment Expenses
  • Click Start or Revisit for Job Expenses For W2 Income.


For people working a straight W2 job, expenses for that job are not deductible for the years 2018 through 2025. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminated Misc. Expenses subject to the 2 percent floor for that period of time. Job expenses that were formerly included in that deduction are not deductible.


Some states (like California) still let you deduct unreimbursed job expenses. Some states also have credits for renters (like Missouri and New Jersey). Check the Department of Revenue website in the state you live in.


For more information about unreimbursed employee expenses, click here. If you are paid as an independent contractor with a 1099MISC, click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies